Invisalign Vs. Braces
Are you embarrassed by your smile? Do you want to change your entire look and life? If you answered yes to either of those questions, you have probably considered braces and Invisalign®. Today’s society has been cultivated in a way where our looks are extremely important. Not only are they important, but they are also constantly on display. Things like Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr have made our appearance available to everyone 24/7. We have embraced this, and as a result the cosmetic industry is flourishing. Whether it’s a breast augmentation, a nose job, a fat reduction procedure, or a smile adjustment, more and more people are deciding to enhance their looks by fixing minor imperfections.
Our mouths are one of the most important parts of our bodies for both function and fashion. We eat, drink, smile, laugh, and so much more but we also use our mouth to find relationships and even jobs. According to several studies, we are judged on our teeth and smiles and peoples perception of us changes based on our oral conditions. If you have crooked teeth and want to improve your smile, now more than ever, is it time to make a change and cosmetic dentistry can help you with that. However, how do you know which smile correction tool to use?
Two major players are traditional braces and Invisalign®. They essentially do the same thing, but in very different ways. Let’s start by outlining what each method does and how it is used effectively.
Invisalign® is a relatively new straightening method consisting of a series of clear aligner trays that correct teeth positioning. Invisalign® is virtually invisible and may be removed at any time during the treatment process.
- Invisalign® may be removed at any time
- Trays are virtually invisible so when you’re wearing them no one will even know
- Teeth are easy to clean because Invisalign® is removable
- Invisalign® is often a bit more expensive than braces
- Aligner trays need to be cleaned and maintained
- Results are less drastic than the results of braces
Braces are the traditional method of straightening teeth and enhancing smiles. Braces use wires, rubber bands, and metal “bars” to pull teeth together, straighten them, and properly space them to achieve the smile you have always dreamed of.
- Braces are the most effective method of teeth straightening and spacing and offer the most drastic changes
- Braces are typically the lowest cost method and may be covered by your insurance provider
- Braces are reliable and a proven method of smile correction
- Braces are easily visible and may limit your desire to smile
- Braces may sometimes be uncomfortable
- Teeth become more difficult to clean properly
- Braces cannot be removed during the treatment process
Choosing between braces and Invisalign®
Choosing between braces and Invisalign® often comes down to simply whether you are willing to put up with railroad tracks being strapped to your teeth. If you are capable or willing to put up with the metal bars on your teeth and want to see drastic change, braces are for you. However, Invisalign® provides an excellent alternative when you believe you would be too embarrassed to wear braces. Other factors to consider include: price, whether your insurance provider covers any or all of the costs associated, what kind of changes you want to see, and what type of person you are. Invisalign® takes a meticulous person to properly care for the aligner trays. They require careful cleaning and must be worn at all times except to eat and drink anything except water. Regardless of your choice, braces and Invisalign® will change your smile and your life!